I stopped buying movies a while ago, partially because to buy every movie I want to see isn’t sustainable, but also because of the big bought between HD DVDs and Blu-ray technology. I used to buy all sorts of movies on DVD, mainly because I really wanted to own them. But since picking up the Netflix bug a couple of months ago, the desire to own a lot of movies has left me. Instead, I only really want to buy movies that I already really enjoy, and want to have for the purposes of a commentary or many repeated viewings.
In light of this realization, and the likelihood of my purchasing a Blu-ray player sometime this year, I’ve been compiling a list of my all time favorite movies. Thought I would share them here. Any of your favorites listed? Or any you think I should add?
So here they are. And just for fun, let’s try to split them up into genres, as given by Netflix’s categorizing (yeah, I trust them):
- Fight Club
- Matchstick Men
- 12 Monkeys
- Saw (the first is the only one that still blows me away)
- Pulp Fiction
- Reservoir Dogs
- Ocean’s 11, 12, 13
- The Matrix
- X-Men (first one)
- The Terminator (the first three, at least)
- Batman Begins and The Dark Knight
- Ghostbusters (again, just the first one)
- Back to the Future (the whole trilogy)
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
- The Big Lebowski
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit
- Groundhog Day
- The Shawshank Redemption
- American History X
- Donnie Darko
- V for Vendetta
- Casino Royale (not to mention the entire EON Bond series)
- Die Hard (first one)
- The Bourne Identity (and the other two)
- Lethal Weapon (at least the first one)
This is the list I’ve compiled so far. Put together your own. The guiding rule I use is that in order for a movie to be on this list I have to want to suggest others see these movies. All time favorites only.
I’ll update this post as I think of more.