After pushing myself into actually taking a look back at 2008, this time around I thought I would take a look into the upcoming year and state some goals.
More than probably anything, I have some big hopes for my career development. Among other things I’m sure I’ll come up with, here are a few things I’d like to achieve:
- While I’d consider myself extremely well versed with front end development (HTML/CSS/JS) and various content management systems, I’d like to develop my Rails skills, and put together my first public application that actually does something useful.
- I’d like to begin to narrow down my options and figure out where I’d like to move in 2010 to pursue a better web development culture. (It shouldn’t really be a secret that the web dev culture in Fort Wayne is somewhat…limited.)
- I’d like to complete 100 billable projects on my own this year. I figure this comes to about two each week, which shouldn’t be too difficult.
- In 2007 I attended An Event Apart Chicago. It was a blast, and I was fortunate enough to be able to spend time with Matt Mullenweg while I was there. I’d like to head back over there this year, as well as take other business related trips.
- I want to finally put the final touches on an idea I’ve had for a subscription site…
But I don’t want this year to be all about work, either. If there’s one thing I learned last year (and I learned a good deal) it’s that I shouldn’t plan to work during all of my available time. It’s not as rewarding as you would think.
So, on a more personal front I’d love to be able to do these things:
- Regularly read fictional books, like the works of Ian Fleming, one of my all time favorite storytellers.
- Recording more personal videos is definitely on this list, but along with it I would like to complete one fictional video of some sort. I used to do a lot of video and video editing work, but I haven’t for a while because I sort of burnt myself out. Now, I would love to be able to work with some friends in the area on a fun personal project. Eyes open.
- The idea of a podcast has been swimming around in my head for a while, though I’m not sure of what form. I like the idea of putting one together to join with ThemePlayground, my blog about WordPress, but would also be satisfied with something devoted to my other interests like Lost.
- I want to record and display more of my life, through pictures, videos, and writing online.
I’m going to stop this before it becomes too formal. These things were all close enough to the top of my brain, that I think they are both true to my feelings and the most attainable I could come up with. Here’s to the new year!